Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A little Poker

And a lot of other stuff....

First off, I have not posted in awhile because I have not played much poker. I managed to get some in the past few days and it has rekindled the poker flame. I have not had many hands that make me think, but this one I think I did the right thing, it just did not go my way. Any thoughts? Did I over play my AK? The guy was loose relative to the table, but not a true maniac. I did not put him on KK or AA due to the limp from the unraised SB, I think I would make the same play again.

$25 NL Texas Hold'em -

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: ultimate8s ( $29.25 )
Seat 3: Victoria85 ( $25.50 )
Seat 7: lwrestler105 ( $15.76 )
Seat 8: STeelerJosh ( $22.40 )
Seat 9: GoldOreMarty ( $4.15 )
Seat 5: baysia ( $15.95 )
Seat 6: alivesey ( $23.05 )
Seat 10: Pascwaly3 ( $28.25 )
Seat 2: mickssid ( $14.75 )
lwrestler105 posts small blind [$0.10].
STeelerJosh posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to STeelerJosh [ Ac Ks ]
Pascwaly3 folds.
ultimate8s folds.
mickssid folds.
Victoria85 folds.
baysia folds.
alivesey folds.
lwrestler105 calls [$0.15].
STeelerJosh raises [$0.50].

ifold220 has joined the table.
lwrestler105 raises [$2].
STeelerJosh raises [$5].
lwrestler105 is all-In [$13.51]
STeelerJosh calls [$10.01].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, Jd, Ah ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ts ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7d ]
STeelerJosh shows [ Ac, Ks ] a pair of aces.
lwrestler105 shows [ Jh, Jc ] three of a kind, jacks.
lwrestler105 wins $29.97 from the main pot with three of a kind, jacks.


I managed to fight back and only be down $9 for the game, but I really thought I was ahead in this hand.

On the non poker front, I am busy boy. I have accepted a promotion at work that will require a move to Detroit. I am excited and scared by the prospect of a new postition in a new place. I have been performing the same role for my company for the past 6 years, so it was getting to a breaking point... I think I made the right decision. We have listed our house and SteelerSteph is interviewing in MI already. Wish us luck. The housing market is not that great in Northeast Ohio right now, but it is even worse in Metro Detroit. The upside of the move? (besides a fresh challenge) is that DNasty might be my neighbor next year. Come on back to the big D, D. Eminem, Kid Rock, and I miss you. 313, what?

This summer is shaping up to be a full one. Pack a house into a 2 bedroom apartment for at least 6 months. Find the missus a job. Learn my new role, and centralize a 16 server mail system geographically distributed in 15 remote offices into one functional 4 server centralized model. Wheeeee! In between all that, I will keep trying to get better at poker.

So, any advice on Poker, Lotus Notes, Selling a House, Keeping a Marriage, Relocating to Michigan, Shopping for an Apartment, and sadly, storing a bike is welcome here. Storing a bike you ask? Well, yeah... it seems that a lot of apartment complexes in Metro Detroit do not allow any motorcycles on property. Thanks to all in the "Loud Pipes save Lives" school of thought, you kind of ruined it for all of us. No matter that my ST sounds like a sewing machine in a fog bank, it is "a bike" and therefore machina non grata. I have to decide if I want to store for awhile or outright sell and repurchase when I become a homeowner again.

Wish me luck in my new role, and in finding my replacement which is proving much tougher than anticipated. Here is an interviewing tip. When asked what your favorite team is in an interview environment (as a seugeway into talk about what makes a successful team and teamwork) do not give "Pantera" as an answer. If you do make that mistake, do not make it worse by advising the interviewer that you memorialized the late lead singer, "Dimebag" Daryl by naming your firstborn after him. This is an accounting firm here people, play the game! Say the 1979 or 2006 Steelers (bonus points from me) or make up some crap about a high school team. Pantera, Lotus Notes, and accountants. Google that.

Lastly, I can't help but admit a little guilt for letting this blog languish since ummmm December. I was (am) a losing player this year (damn you -EV Blackjack) and it took its toll on my budget, desire for the game, and inspiration for the blog. I am back now with an online pittance for a bankroll and back on Party since they have allowed me to remove (or at least hide) their BJ icon. The going can be tough there, but I am enjoying working on my NL cash game chops and the SNGs are so juicy there.

I won't make the Mookie tomorrow, my firm is having its annual conference and I will be getting crunked with a few hundred of my closest friends from Chicago, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Elgin, Cleveland, and Kalamazoo in a hotel. The conference, mercifully, does not start until 10 the following day so the night before of open tabs is always an event.

I am not normally a pimp, although my pimp hand is strong. If you have a few minutes and enjoy what I think is one of the most unique voices in a blog, check out TenMile over at http://sippinwhiskeyandpoker.blogspot.com/ He is on my blogroll, and I need to update my links on the right. I particularly enjoyed his recent story about an Alaskan pilot of a single engined craft. Seems odd when I type it out here, but trust me; TenMile can spin a story like few else. Aces to you TenMile.

2 comments:

TenMile said...

Thank You, Josh.

Sorry about the bike. Good luck with that move.

Meek said...

Moving to the state up North? That sucks.

Selling the bike?
That sucks.

I just bought a bike like yours, if it was an '06. You are still invited down for Honda Homecoming at the end of July, if you are not too busy. I'll send you an email.